Tuesday, July 6, 2021

A Long Absence.........

I hadn't realized till today that it's been 8 months since my last blog post. We're finally out of 2020, thankfully, though I'm not sure really that that much has really changed. I'm hoping we can continue moving forward into more positive, happy days ahead. I remain hopeful.

My art continues to be therapy for me, keeping me company and entertained. I have some amazing customers from Etsy as well as Instagram who have really supported my art and what a great feeling that is.

Speaking of my art, my style just keeps morphing and changing. When I started out in 2009 being more "public" with my creations, I thought I'd stay in one medium and that would be sculpting. Funny, I don't do much of that at all. I'd say it's maybe 10% of what I do these days. During the dreaded plague of last year, I explored so many different new mediums; wood burning, carving, metal stamping of jewelry, took online classes for soldering, and watercolor, both trying it on my own, and then online classes. 

A few clay pieces I do for holidays

What I discovered is that I love soldering, just love it! The classes I took were from Terri Brush who has a studio in Chehalis, WA, my adopted home state. She is so talented and a fantastic teacher. I'll be taking more classes from her in the future, but right now I have to watch my budget (more on that later).

Soldered pieces for Halloween

I LOVE this one! Love that cathedral glass!

Gotta do some Christmas pieces too!

Next I took watercolor classes. Now that medium is my passion! It is beyond beautiful. There isn't one thing I don't love about it. Is it difficult? Oh absolutely! Every painting has been a challenge because it's so temperamental and has a mind of it's own. I've taken classes from Danielle Donaldson whose style is very whimsical and Cindy Briggs, whose style is more real life. I love them both, but of course my style continues to be my own; whimsical and quirky. There are so many great videos on You Tube as well with fantastic artists; Shayda Campbell, Ellen Crimi-Trent, Louise DeMasi, Helen Campbell, Steve Mitchell, Paul Clark, and the list goes on. These are just a few I've learned so much from. So my watercoloring adventure will continue without a doubt!

Of course my work is always quirky!

I mentioned being on a budget these days. Well...I had and am having a huge expense right happening right now and I have to devote every penny I have to that. Again my AMAZING customers have supported me in this as well by donating to my Facebook Fundraiser that I set up for my horse, Baby, who had something happen in mid-June, by once again, the hands of a supposed horse trainer. She'd only been there a few days and then suddenly couldn't walk. I had her brought back to my house and got my vet out, and after x-rays, he found a break in her short pastern, P2 is the technical term. Whatever happened, I don't know and of course the trainer isn't forthcoming with information or even an apology. No comment.

My sweet Baby girl, before the injury

The next day I had to have her transported up to Lexington, KY to the only orthopedic surgeon who can do that type of repair. He's the best in the business. He works on so many racehorses as the Kentucky Horse Park is near by. I couldn't ask for a better facility or a better vet taking care of her. The repair consisted of 2 metal plates and 8 screws. She's been in the equine hospital since June 11th and in a cast for the past 3 weeks. The plan is that on the 4th week, he'll determine whether the cast will be just changed, or if she's healed enough to remove it and have her try to walk on her own. Right now she's having a little trouble with some soreness on the non-surgical hoof, and that is likely due to it having the added weight and pressure from supporting the limb that isn't 100%. Hopefully this will improve over the next few days. The cost for the surgery and subsequent care is very expensive, as in you could buy a new car expensive. Doing this repair was the only way to save her and so that's what I did. Money is replaceable, a life isn't. I'm hoping that she will be back home in the next couple of weeks. If you'd like to send positive vibes, energy or prayers up to her, we'd both appreciate it! She's a sweetheart.

In the meantime, I'm trying to stay very positive and only have good thoughts. I keep busy by doing my art all day, and being with my dogs and cats, and my heart horse Simba.


No comments: